Friday, January 30, 2015

We Were Liars


                Welcome back to another review.  Today we have We Were Liars by E. Lockhart.  I bought this book because I was hearing about this book everywhere.  It was on a ton of lists and booktube, everywhere I look at book news it was there.  So clearly I wanted to be in the know.  I figured it was a stand-alone I could read and be caught up with everyone.  It’s a short book and I read it in an afternoon.

                The basic story is that of a distinguished family who owns a private island.  It centers on a group of friends, known as the Liars, and their friendship full of lies and secrets and eventually the truth.  This is going to be a very short review because you can’t say much without giving it away and it’s best feature is it’s quick suspense.
               
                Following the Liars, Cadence, Johnny, Mirren, and Gat around the island and seeing into the lives of the private island owning.  The style of writing was different from what I was used to but I easily fell into the rhythm.  Our narrator, Cadence, talks about the importance of the Liars and their connection as a group during their time, when they are all there, how close they are but sometimes it didn’t come across.  And I would have liked a bit more development on some of the Liars as a whole but given how short it is I can easily forgive that.

                Overall I give it 4 stars.  It was an interesting story and it kept me reading until the surprising end.  It’s a story you don’t necessarily see coming.  Following rich families around and how they interact and how it affects the children.  I do feel this book was a bit overhyped.  Again I enjoyed it and don’t regret reading it by any means, 4 stars remember, but I think the level of hype I heard for it had me expecting something a bit…more.  I do recommend this as a short read but I warn that you ignore the hype and just go in expecting a semi-dark and suspenseful story and go from there. 

                Also side note I have to point out on the description of the book it says:

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.


                Okay that I do love.  Because first, don’t spoil the book for people.  And it fits with the story itself, with the Liars.  Anywho that is it for today’s review.  I should have another one up in the next day or two.  I’m trying to post regularly again, look for my review of the Legend series Monday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment