Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Remembrance: Love, Reincarnation, Second Chances, or Fate?

                Hello everyone!  I hope you all are having a good week thus far.  Today’s book for review was provided by my favorite NetGalley and Barclay Publishing for an honest review.  

                Remembrance is a story of love, reincarnation, second chances, and all the messy stuff that comes with it.  I went into this book knowing very little about it.  I knew it was about Lizzie, a typical high school girl, who has a good boyfriend and a best friend since the sandbox but things get turned around when a new guy comes to school and she has this feeling she knows him already.  I knew there was a reincarnation aspect to the story and that was all I knew to dive into it. 

Rating: 4 Stars

                I really enjoyed it.  The story moved along quickly and kept me interested.  There was a bit of cheesy but I enjoyed it.  At first I wasn't sure if I liked Lizzie but over time she grew on me quickly.  I understood the reasons for the struggles and stupid mistakes she makes throughout.  She is 17 and young and confused about life and the new feelings she has, plus the situation is complicated.  I don't want to give too much away but I liked how her thought process went, she made changes in her life based on how she felt and not just about this new appearance but on how things had been changing before that.  I liked that it wasn't strictly Drew related.  I also loved her interest in art.  I can't draw for anything so yeah but I do love to read and write and that is my version and I love getting lost in it like she does.

                Which leads up to Drew.  He went and made complicated.  I understood his logic after even if I found it inconsistent, young and flawed boy thinking it was.  It fit in the whole of the story.  I admit though that his actions through the first part of the book left me not caring for him too much.  He was so hot and cold I wasn't sure he was worth it but even then I liked the change he sparked in Lizzie. 

                Lizzie's best friend Chelsea was also back and forth for me.  I loved how they had been friends for so long and their past history was touching and relatable.  Still there were times when Chelsea pushed Lizzie to do things even when Lizzie made it clear it made her uncomfortable and it seemed like Chelsea was too concerned with getting things as she wanted than about her friend.  Though Lizzie has her bad best friend moments as well for sure it just seemed at times that Chelsea was a bit self centered and the friendship was more one sided. 

The other covers in
the series!
                The story for me had different elements.  There was the main drama aspect of the romance for sure but it also had lots of little things happening alongside them.  I liked the wonder and debate about past lives and how they can impact the current life. If you are given a second chance can you make better decisions and right wrongs or are we doomed to repeat the same mistakes again?  How do you try to compute this while still in high school?  When your biggest concern should be about a dance or graduating to be tossed such serious life affirming questions is touch. 

                Remembrance is the first book in the Transcended Time series for which there are 3 more books already out for the taking.  This book could stand alone, things wrapped up smoothly enough though you do wonder about certain aspects which is where the next book, Vengeance, picks up.  I look forward to continuing on and seeing how things continue.  I can't say much more.  I would go into this book open and not knowing a ton and just enjoy watching everything develop. After reading this I'm also even more excited about reading Madows other series The Secret Diamond Sisters. 

                That's all for today.  I will have my Paper Towns book and movie review up for you on Friday.  Also don't forget to check out my review of A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas and enter to win a signed copy of the book here.  Now as usual please comment and share your thoughts below I love having a chance to discuss with other book lovers.  I'd love to hear your thoughts on reincarnation and second chances? Do you think you can change things or is fate unchangeable? 

No comments:

Post a Comment