Saturday, July 4, 2015

The Thousand Dollar Tan Line: Veronica Mars in book form need I say more

                I was planning to post this quick review yesterday and not on the 4th of July but I wasn’t in that big of a mood for cheerful things after waking up to news that a good friend of my family and my mom’s best friend had passed away then having to go to the dentist on top of that.  My heart goes out to her family but until there is something more I can do than send good wishes I will do what I know brings me joy, reading and sharing books with you. 
                I was debating on doing a review of this book when I first read, or really listened, but decided to go ahead and do it.  This is my first audiobook experience and that is The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line by Rob Thomas.  Basically for those of you who don’t know it’s a book series that is taking up where the much beloved Veronica Mars show ended several years ago but then fans brought it back for a movie just last year after a ten year break.  Yes it was a movie on kickstarter with the core cast and some all coming in and it was just beautiful.  I reviewed it here.  The book series takes place just following the events in the movie.  It could be read without having seen them it gives you what you need but I don’t know if it would be as good without it as that is what connected me to it.

                We basically follow Veronica on her journey in Neptune as Keith is still recovering and she is adjusting to her life change.  Neptune has taken a hard hit over the years and has some serious corruption going on.  Veronica is struggling to keep Mars Investigations afloat by catching the available cases until she is able to score a big one.  Now with it being spring break season and the town being flooded with college students looking for a good time for a week of crazy fun.  When one girl disappears from a party Veronica is called in to investigate.  Only this is no simple missing persons case.  The house the victim was last seen in has some secrets held inside and soon Veronica is in way too deep.  Things hit closer to home as new developments make it personal for Veronica.

                I listened to this on audiobook rather reading it because I found out that Kristen Bell, who was Veronica Mars herself, was the one narrating it.  How could I pass that up?  Finding that out worked perfect with my UtopYA trip and an 8 hr drive both ways.  I love tunes but only so much before I want something different.  So I listed to half there and half back alternating with music.  For fans of the show and movie, the show had it’s voice-overs at times from Veronica and hearing her read the book put me right back in front of the TV.  I could visualize everything and she had Veronica’s voice down, because she lived it so long and KNOWS the character as well as the others.

                 I was captivated and so sad when I had to stop it at times.  I find driving to music is easier areas where my GPS is going to be talking to me, I can lower music and hear over but for the audiobook I didn’t want to miss anything.  Overall I can’t go into detail because it’s a PI story and that would ruin it.  But I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVED it!  It was list watching the show again and it stayed true to the show and everything us Marshmallows love about it.  I do wish there was a bit more Logan in it but I hear there is more of him in the next book, Mr. Kiss and Tell.  I also hear the next book is even better than the first and this is hard to believe.

                However, this is where I am stuck in a bit of a conundrum.  I loved the first one so much and a huge part of that was listing to it and actually hearing Veronica.  The second book is out which I was thrilled about but it is not narrated by Kristen Bell but another female.  I’m sure she is a great narrator and I’ve heard she does other audio books and I have nothing against her but…I want Veronica.  I was spoiled with her and I can’t imagine anyone else doing it.  With this I’m unsure I’ll be able to listen to the audiobook and not spend the whole time wishing it was Kristen Bell doing it.  So my other option is to do as you do with any book and read.  I think I was spoiled with the first audiobook though as I’m so conflicted about it.  I guess I’ll just have to figure it out the old fashioned way, marathon the 3 seasons on DVD and the movie to procrastinate and then figure out what to do.  That’s all for now Marshmallows.  Have a safe and happy 4th of July.

Rating: 5 Marshmallows 

And because it's awesome:



2 comments:

  1. I really need to watch the show, movie, and read the books. I know it's a favorite of yours. Hopefully i'll be able to marathon it sometime this winter :) As always, great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to! They are so much fun! Then we can discuss them. Thanks!

      Delete