Monday, April 18, 2016

Fire Falling (Air Awakens #2)

                Hello happy readers.  I hope you had a great weekend.  I managed to get some reading done and do a few productive things as well so I'm calling it a win!  That said last week I finally finished book two in the Air Awakens series by Elise Kova, Fire Falling.  I did a read along back in November last year for Air Awakens, which I reviewed here, when Fire Falling was set to come out.  I fell in love with this book and quickly purchased the sequel.  I also started it straight away but I sort of got a bit ahead of myself and had at one point like 12 books going at once most of which were fantasy so I had to put a hold on some to manage it.  That said I continued the ones I was farthest in and having only started this one it got put on hold.  I was super excited when I got my stuff together and had the chance to dive back into Fire Falling.  So I'm thrilled to share my thoughts and feels because there are LOTS.  Spoilers for the first book, duh.

Rating:  5 Stars

                Sometimes when I take a break from books I lose my place in the story and have to go back and start over or at least read a few past chapters which I why I try not to have to do it.  Trying to do better.  That said, I didn't have to do that with this one.  I picked up right where my kindle left me and I knew instantly what was happening and I was right back in the story.  Maybe because I know book three, Earth's End is already out and book four, Water's Wrath is set to release soon I'm staying super amped.  How can you not with the books coming out so close to one another it's every readers dream!  Picking up where we left off Vhalla no longer has the life she once knew but is now the only Windwalker and property of the crown and being sent to the war front despite her lack of training or skill after a farce of a trial. Her goal:  Stay alive and try to maintain her humanity and not be pushed past her breaking point.

                First, I don't recommend reading the last quarter of this book in public.  It's intense throughout for sure and had plenty of moments of talking to the device in my hand moments but the end….my co-workers have persisted teasing me about my reaction each day.  I have no shame and tell them vividly where they can shove said comments and we laugh because it's all well meaning but still.  There is a LOT happening and it just hits all over the place. 

                Now for the juicy parts.  Despite magic traveling to the war zone still takes lots of time.  I liked that we were on this journey and along the way in down time it was put to use training.  It was smart and fun.  Vhalla needs help in both physical components of battle and in using her newly found magic if she hopes to survive.  I was also giddy with excitement when Larel and Fritz joined her as well because they were just so much fun and some of my favorite scenes were of the three of them.  Their comradery was on point and the connection between Vhalla and Larel that started in book one grew so beautifully here.  I also enjoyed getting to know some of the other characters a bit better like Prince Baldair and Daniel though I am a bit conflicted about them, Elecia as well.   

                Fire Falling also showed more of the divide between the regular soldiers and the legion.  The two princes and their two commands.  Also along for the journey is the Emperor who is not my favorite person.  Lots of strategy and such playing out in this one as we play politics you expect in times of war and it's always hard figuring out who you can and can't trust.  We also see more of a relationship of sorts building between Aldrik and Vhalla.  He's not the easiest person in the world to get to know both in who he acts in general always hot and cold but also the little trouble of his dad being the Emperor and again not a very nice guy.  Still seeing the back and forth on his side was hard at first until they are able to really talk, which they do.  They still have some fumbles about communication here and there but overall I have to say one of my favorite things about them is that they just say what they want/mean for the most part.  Neither is up for games.  I really enjoyed their scenes together and how no matter their station or title they were more of themselves with each other and as we see that with Vhalla and Larel and Fritz seeing the somewhat softer side to Aldrik around her is always nice. 
               There is so much happening at the end and I am dying to read the next book.  I already have it and I can read it any time but I'm a bit leery to start right away given I am reading a few books right now, and if I'm honest I'm still processing the end o the book.  Plus, can't give my co-workers any additional taunt material!  Still every time I pick up my kind I want to go to it so I doubt I'll be able to hold out long.  Maybe until book four is officially out next week so I will have that safety net of sorts.  Even though it put my poor heart through some feels or maybe because of it, I really loved this book.  I can't wait to see where the author is going but I'm going to be sticking around to find out.  I'd love to hear your thoughts below in the comments.

                 Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment