Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)

                Hello happy readers!  I got had a bit of an internet problem yesterday and couldn't get this uploaded but better a day late than not at all.  So this weekend I was able to finish another audiobook, I have been really enjoying my listening time.  This book was none other than MoonChosen (Tales of a New World #1) by P.C. Cast.  I originally received a digital copy from NetGalley back as it was released, seriously I had requested it forever before but they approved me the week or so after release when I had given up hope and took on other reviews so it got pushed to the back burner. I like this author, the House of Night series was one of the series I first dove into when I started reading again and it lead me to her other series (Goddess Summoning and Partholon) which I adored even more making her an auto-buy author. 

Rating:  4.5 Stars

                I mentioned I had a digital copy, well I ended up using a credit and got the audiobook after my best friend couldn’t stop texting me about how she LOVED this book and stayed up all night to read it once she started.  This was high praise and I was down to start but my reading had been slow due to some headaches and travel so I figured audiobook was the way to go.  I am so glad I listened to this one as well if only for the comparisons with said friend in saying the names which had us laughing at one pups name in particular.  The narrator did a good job with the narration and distinguishing the voices of the characters.  

                I went into this story not knowing much just that it had a beautiful cover, an auto-buy author, and that it focused on a new world with a conflict between two different groups and that there was going to be a loveable pup in there somewhere.  This was all I needed to know.  I enjoyed the multiple POVs in general but even more so in that they were each from different characters in different clans/tribes and we were able to see how each one functioned from the inside as well as from the outside.  The Earth Walkers are kind people who have to be cleansed by their Moon Woman every few nights to keep the women from turning into deep depression and the men into something else but they as a whole work as a community nicely but to the Companions they are animals who can't care for themselves.  The Companions are tree living people who have these cities above the ground and bond with pups and have all these awesome things but to the Earth Walkers they are simply the evil ones who raid their lands and kidnap or kill their people.  Seeing from both Mari and Nik gave insights into both and showcased the highs and lows of each.  We also got to see some bits and pieces into the Skin Stealers as well and frankly those chapters were just creepy as can be but again insightful to the story.

                We learned a lot about both cultures in the story but I'm curious to learn more about both clans/tribes.  We also learn about another group towards the end, those who live in the mountains and bond with lynx like the companions do with pups.  I have to admit this whole idea was so fascinating because I love animals and the idea of bonding with one pup or what is so amazing.  The pups are generally Sheppard's or terriers and having had a couple of German Sheppards growing up this made me super nostalgic (I'm also looking at pups myself as I finally am finished with apartment living and have a place with a  yard) for my old babies.  Not all Companions have a pup but the pups that are mentioned they are totally characters in their own right and I was more nervous/upset if any danger befell them than anything else.  Though as they are characters and there are many in the story there is some animals that are injured in the story so I should say that is a warning for some. 

                As with many of her books Cast has a strong reliance on strong female characters and those whom lead their people.  I love this about her books.  I also love the different takes on their beliefs from taking power from the moon or the sun or some other things I won't mention each group has similarities but have somehow become so vastly different.  I loved seeing Nik and Mari trying to figure one another out and to break through the misconceptions they had of one another.  Nik isn't the most likeable at first he thinks a bit too highly of himself but that quickly changes as we get to know him better and he develops a new understanding for things.  Mari I instantly felt for with her situation.  Loving her mother and her people but being forced to hide her true self for so long and always feeling trapped.  Her journey was intense.  Rigel is my favorite character though if I'm honest.  Yes he is a pup and he doesn't speak but when he was in the chapters I would get all "awe what a sweetie" vibes and wish I could reach into the story to pet him.  They are the main characters for sure but I also adored some of the side characters like Sora whom if I'm honest I related to in many ways that my best friend and me discussed while I listened.  Even O'Bryan and his optimism and kindheartedness made him a favorite of mine when he was in scenes. 

                This new world is set before us and so many things have started with the potential for so much more.  I can't wait to see what happens in the next book because this one just really set the stage for the world, the characters, and what is at stake.  I can't wait to get my hands on the physical copy to go along with my audiobook because I know the one thing I missed out on were the beautiful images between chapters (I scanned my BFF's book after to see) so I highly recommend the listening experience but also the beautiful pictures in the physical copy!  I'd love to hear what you think of this new world and series and would you rather be a Earth Walker or  Companion (and if so to a terrier, sheppard, or lynx) or what?  Personally I would struggle between a sheppard and a lynx but would be happy with either!


                Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment